When I work on a person who has blockages in this chakra, almost always there are repressed emotions. This chakra can be kept healthier by being aware of the times when emotional states are blocked. Often this coincides with a clenching or tightening of the lower belly, which tends to block the flow of energy in this center and create emotional disconnection. I often remind clients to soften the lower belly. In other words, to release tension there.
This is the creative center of the world. Indeed, women create new life in the energy of this chakra. When a woman experiences menopause, the ability to create a baby is ended, but there opens up a new power to create in other ways. I frequently see post-menopausal women taking on extraordinary creative projects. A great way to keep the energy of the sacral chakra moving is to keep creating, whether through artwork, through volunteer services, or any number of inspired endeavors.
In a blocked 2nd chakra, one's ability to express the life purpose is diminished. The 2nd chakra works with the 5th chakra, the throat chakra, through which self-expression flows. These energy centers are part of your subtle energy body, and although they are not commonly discussed, they affect your health, your wellbeing, and your life's purpose.
There are several ways to keep the energy flowing through your sacral chakra. Of course I recommend that you have your chakras balanced first, which I do with each person I see, but you can do some simple things on your own to help it along.
- If you are a visual person, see orange light flowing into and through the area of your lower belly.
- Express your creativity: paint, write, sing, dance!
- It is said that sweet fruits, nuts, and spices such as cinnamon and vanilla aid this chakra.
- Move your lower body like a belly dancer. Circular hip movements aid the 2nd chakra.
- Sit on the earth and ground yourself. A healthy root chakra leads to a healthy sacral chakra.
- Lie down and place an orange stone on this energy center. I prefer carnelian to heal this chakra.
- Breathe into your lower belly.
- Practice qi gong, movements designed for subtle energy management.